The adaptation strategies below offer possible ways to address anticipated climate risks with greenhouse gas inventories and mitigation.
Adaptation strategies with greenhouse gas inventories and mitigation
Conduct a greenhouse gas inventory and set goals to reduce emissions
- Complete a community-wide inventory and a local government operations inventory.
- Document all assumptions made and steps taken to complete the inventory.
- Set a community-wide greenhouse gas emissions reduction goal and a local government operations emissions reduction goal.
- Identify specific actions the local government can take to achieve that goal by reducing internal operations emissions and the emissions occurring across the community. These actions are often used to create a climate action plan.
- Develop education resources and/or a communications strategy to encourage residents to take personal responsibility for reducing their own emissions footprints.
The adaptation strategies provided are intended to inform and assist communities in identifying potential alternatives. They are illustrative and are presented to help communities consider possible ways to address current and future climate threats. Read the full disclaimer.